Gutter maintenance should be a priority of every homeowner, but it’s often a neglected task. You should ensure that your gutter system is in tip-top shape by cleaning them throughout the year. Clogged gutters are a hazard because it impedes proper water flow and causes overflow that can seep into your home’s foundation. Gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year to perform at an optimal level. Who should actually clean gutters? Maybe you’d like to do a DIY job or contemplate leaving it to the professionals. Which is the better option? Let’s compare the two and see if it’s better to clean your gutters yourself or hire a professional for the job.
Gutter Cleaning DIY Style
It’s not uncommon to see some homeowners clean their gutter, but it can be a tough task whether their gutter system is complicated or straightforward. For DIY gutter cleaning to be done effectively and safely, proper training and experience are necessary.
Pros of DIY Gutter Cleaning
- Flexible Schedule: Cleaning your gutters yourself allows you to work at a time that’s convenient for you. You don’t have to schedule an appointment for the job. You do it when you please and not wait until the professionals can fit you into their time.
- Save Money: Should you go with the most affordable professional or clean your gutters at no cost to you? While you can save some cash with a DIY job, the quality of your work may be subpar. It’s only worth it if you can get the job done right.
Cons of DIY Gutter Cleaning
- Safety Hazards: If you lack the skills and experience needed for the task and attempt it, you increase the risk of falling from a ladder or the roof. The last thing you want is to end up in the ER or worse.
- Investing Time: Time is only a factor if it’s precious to you. Do you have the time to give to such a project? You may end up losing a day or two if you clean your gutters yourself. It may be a better option to hire a professional instead of losing time that you can’t afford.
- Need Equipment: Equipment is needed if you are to perform an effective job of cleaning your gutters. A sturdy ladder, ladder supports, washers, a heavy-duty bucket, and puncture-resistant gloves, among other tools, will be needed to clean your gutters. If you don’t have the necessary tools, chances are you may not do the job correctly. Plus, no equipment means you’ll have to turn to the professionals.
- Lacking expertise: If you are a trained professional, you are the best person for cleaning your gutters. Can you spot issues with your gutters? Can you properly clean your type of gutter? If you lack the know-how and experience needed for the job, you cannot take on and have efficient results.
Hiring Professionals For Your Gutter Cleaning
With the training, expertise, experience, and equipment, professional gutter guard cleaners can perform the job correctly, effectively, and efficiently.
Pros of Professional Gutter Cleaning
- Reduced Risk of Injury: Hiring trained professionals limits the risk of injury or worse. They have the know-how to minimize the risk of accidents. Additionally, by hiring a reputable roofing contractor, the company would be responsible for the liability if an accident should occur.
- Quality Work: One of the biggest advantages of hiring a professional to clean your work. You don’t have to worry if the job will be done properly.
Cons of Professional Gutter Cleaning
- More Costly: While plenty of gutter cleaning professionals has affordable prices, you’ll still spend more with them than doing the cleaning yourself. However, consider the long-term savings because you’re less likely to have gutter issues when you keep up with your annual maintenance. The fewer problems you have to fix, the more money you’ll save.
- May Be Unavailable When You Need Them: Professional gutter cleaners are typically more booked during the fall and spring. These are the ideal times for gleaning gutter systems. You may need to do advanced scheduling if you want to be one of the customers who get their gutters cleaned during peak season. You’ll have to work with whatever time they have available.
Reynolds Gutters is here to help with your most pressing gutter problem, delivering quality service every time. With us, you can expect to have fully functioning gutters and have you ready for whatever comes. Reach out to us and learn more about our affordable offering.